Family

Family

Friday, July 5, 2013

Little Levi: 4 Months Old

*A note from Mommy: Sorry this post is a little late. I didn't really feel like posting it ASAP because our 4 month appointment was a little disappointing and we've been trying to fix the "problem" since then. I've been having different emotions and trying to deal with the facts in a way that makes me seem/feel not guilty, although I feel very guilty. For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about.. here's what has been happening. The past month I have noticed Levi was on the skinny side and planned that we had better start rice cereal sooner than our original plan of 6 months. I just had a feeling he wasn't getting enough milk from me. We had been strictly breast feeding up until then. We went in for Levi's 4 month check up and found out he has only gained 11oz in TWO MONTHS. So he weighed in at 11lbs 11oz. He is in the 3rd percentile for weight :( Other than his "poor weight gain" (as the doctor labeled it on his chart), he is very healthy and amazingly strong. Now this had the doctor a little concerned, but it wasn't an emergency... just something we needed to solve to get him gaining weight again and will want to see him back at 5 months (where otherwise we would come in at 6 months). My instincts proved right in that I wasn't making enough milk and I was (still am) really upset. We had planned on not using formula if at all possible and not starting solids until 6 months. But we will do whatever we have to for our precious son. I find myself wondering all the time "what if we caught this sooner?", "why didn't I notice and do something?", "have I ruined his growth because I couldn't give what he needs?" and the fact that he's basically been starving eat at me everyday. I can sit back and wonder what his weight would be right now (supposed to be about twice his birth weight, which would put him at 18 pounds), but this is my first baby, and honestly I have no clue what I'm doing most of the time. Now please do not take this as "whoa is me" and I'm not asking for sympathy. Lord knows there are families going through really hard stuff right now with their little ones (I know a handful who have either lost their baby recently or are dealing with a lot of medical issues). My heart breaks for these people. I know Levi's poor weight gain is insignificant when compared to that, but to me, it's his health and I want the very best for him and it tears me up that he hasn't been getting what he needs. So we have basically been trying to fatten him up ever since! He still gets a little breast milk from me throughout the day, he also eats solids 3x a day (rice cereal with veggies and fruit) and formula a few times a day after nursing on me. Now, I have nothing *against* formula per se, but it is a synthetic form of the good stuff, let's be honest. I am glad it exists for instances like mine and for all of the other mommies who have low supply issues as well. I just wish we didn't need it, but am thankful to have it. Ok, rant over. I'll let Levi take over from here ;)


Hello world! This is Levi and I am 4 months old now and boy have things been getting interesting! I keep hearing my parents say how much they love this age and how much fun it is to have me around. Well, duh! At my last appointment I was weighed (which you read about from Mommy) and my length was 25 1/4" (60th percentile). I never really let Mommy know I was hungry because I didn't fuss between feedings, to her I seemed content.. I guess I was just used to it! But I am so happy with my new diet. Eating all of these new foods is so fun. Except it is much harder to poop now because my poops are getting more firm. So far I've had avocados, sweet potatoes and bananas. I saw Mommy buy carrots, green beans, apples and pears at the store.. so those are in store for me soon! She makes my food homemade and it is so yummy. Look at the video of me below trying rice cereal for the firs time. The little voices you hear in the video are Addie, Austin and Cameron. They were over hanging out with us.


Me playing on my floor mat

Here I am chatting away.. notice how I gasp when my face hits the blanket



Since this is late (I am 19 weeks as I write this), my schedule has already started to change from what it was this past month, but I will describe it how it was in my 4th month. You'll see in my 5th month post what my schedule is looking like now (although it could change! I like to keep it interesting). 

*if I wake up before 7, Mommy comes in and puts my passy back in and I usually make it to 7. There are a few times where I wake up a handful of times a night, but she just comes and puts my passy in and checks for a poopy diaper and I fall back asleep. The goal is for my wake time to be 7am, no earlier. Sometimes I'm super tired and I'll sleep until 8!
7am: wake/nurse/play
8am-10 (sometimes 11am): nap (I used to be consistent about a 3 hour morning nap, but this month a lot of times it has been 2 hours)
10 (or 11): wake/nurse/play
11:30-12:30/1: nap (but if I woke up at 11 previously, it would be 12:30-1:30/2 nap)
1pm: wake/nurse/play (or 2pm if I woke up from previous nap at 2)
2:30pm-4/4:30: nap (or 3:30-5 if I woke up from previous nap at 2)
4:30pm (or 5)- wake (if not up already)/nurse
5-8pm: hang out/cat nap and maybe a bath (I don't take a "scheduled" nap in my crib, but if I'm a bit fussy I get put in my swing where I might take a 30 minute power nap to get me through to my bed time)
8pm: nurse then bed (in bed by about 8:15/8:30)
9:30/10pm: dream feed.. last feeding of the night (Mommy was working on moving this back until it was at 9pm which would be very close to my last 8pm feed so we could drop it all together, but after the Dr. appointment we decided to keep it until I reach a healthy weight).

After my 4 month check up, this schedule is a bit different as far as feedings go, but you will see that in the 5 month post. 

This past month my great-grandpa (Mommy's grandpa) and his brother came down from Ohio and stayed with us for 3 days. They though I was a hoot. They enjoyed visiting with me very much. 

I also started sitting in my Bumbo seat. I really enjoy it especially when I'm in front of a mirror! It's very convenient for when Mommy needs to get ready, I can just sit on the bathroom counter and stare at myself. Yes, it has straps so I'm not going anywhere!


One weekend in June we went to Lake Waccamaw with Mommy's parents, Garrett and his girlfriend, Margaret and Kyle and Gail and Joel. It was very fun! I got to ride on a boat for the first time. Here is a pic of me in my life jacket. I basically liked to munch on it. 


I am starting to get more interactive.. playing with toys, "talking", smiling at everyone I see. I guess you could say my personality is starting to develop. 

Also, I went to JCPenny for a little portrait session a day before I turned 4 months. Mommy only bought it because it was a Groupon and she wanted to get some 4 month pictures. Well it wasn't the best experience because I refused to cooperate. Normally I am all smiles, but I didn't crack one at the photo shoot. They also tried laying me on my tummy (which I am a pro at), but I just face planted the ground most of the time. I'm not some sort of circus monkey you know! I don't do what you want when you want me to. Here are a few shots we got...




We will be doing photos again this fall, I hear, when I'm able to sit up on my own. Maybe, just maybe, I'll cooperate then. Tee hee!

Ok I think I've filled you in on what has gone down in my 4th month of life. Until next time!

Love,

Little (working on it!) Levi


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Designed by The Single Momoirs